- to swallow or eat hastily or hungrily in large pieces; gulp.
- to seize upon eagerly (often followed by up): After being gone for so long, they gobbled up all the local news.
- to eat hastily.
Origin of gobble1
SynonymsSee more synonyms for gobble on Thesaurus.com
- to make the characteristic throaty cry of a male turkey.
- the cry itself.
Origin of gobble2
Examples from the Web for gobble
Rank be damned, 45-year-old Badlands still looks hungry to me, and manages to gobble 12 plates in all, with grace.Video: We Took a Competitive Eater to TGI Fridays for Endless Appetizers—and They Ran Out
July 17, 2014
And then, like all firms that want to expand rapidly, it started to gobble up other companies whole.The Company That Built Obamacare Is Doing Better Than Ever
October 18, 2013
But it is difficult to tell if the inherent salaciousness of the story is the key to what makes this book so easy to gobble up.This Week’s Hot Reads: September 23, 2013
September 23, 2013
And finally, on Monday, AT&T announced a $39 billion deal to gobble up T-Mobile and its 46.5 million customers.Top 20 Corporate Influencers
The Daily Beast
March 25, 2011
Now she had fallen low enough to gobble anything she could find.L'Assommoir
They may have wounds, big holes in their bodies, and still they'll gobble their victuals.Abbe Mouret's Transgression
They're like a lot of greedy pike just waiting to gobble down all they can.The Trail of '98
Robert W. Service
Something between the 'gobble, gobble' of a turkey and the coo of the ring-dove.Doctor Luttrell's First Patient
Rosa Nouchette Carey
And the gobble of a turkey; and what attribute of the goose?Molly Brown's Orchard Home
- (when tr, often foll by up) to eat or swallow (food) hastily and in large mouthfuls
- (tr often foll by up) informal to snatch
- the loud rapid gurgling sound made by male turkeys
- an imitation of this sound
- (intr) (of a turkey) to make this sound
Word Origin and History for gobble
"eat greedily," c.1600, probably partly echoic, partly frequentative of gob, via gobben "drink something greedily." Related: Gobbled; gobbling.