- a man who serves as sponsor for a child at baptism.
- any male sponsor or guardian.
- (often initial capital letter) a powerful leader, especially of the Mafia.
- a person who is regarded as the originator or principal shaper of a movement, school of thought, art form, industry, or the like: the godfather of abstract expressionism.
- to act as godfather to; be sponsor or protector for.
Origin of godfather
- a novel (1969) by Mario Puzo.
Examples from the Web for godfather
Contemporary Examples of godfather
Forty-two years after its debut, The Godfather casts a long shadow over American cinema.The Alterna-‘Godfather’: ‘A Most Violent Year’
December 30, 2014
The godfather, Alston, was around back of the building, sitting on a bench at the edge of the playground.This Brooklyn 6-Year-Old’s Murderer Is Still on the Loose
June 3, 2014
As a 3-year-old she wandered on screen in The Godfather Part III.The Next Great Coppola
May 7, 2014
It stretches back to The Godfather, when everyone who died met their demise with something orange nearby.All the Signs That Don Draper Will Die on ‘Mad Men’
April 14, 2014
The godfather of JFK celebrity conspiracy theorists is director Oliver Stone.Celebrity Conspiracy Theorists: Courtney Love Finds Malaysian Flight 370
March 20, 2014
Historical Examples of godfather
When he started up, the Godfather Break of Day was peeping at its namesake.Little Dorrit
My godfather, who arrived early, nodded his head in a contented way.
My godfather made a great fuss of her, for success was everything to this bourgeois.
I refused him, and my godfather then asked to speak to me alone.
My godfather Rgis seemed to be the exact counterpart of M. Meydieu.
- a male godparent
- the head of a Mafia family or other organized criminal ring
- an originator or leading exponentthe godfather of South African pop