- large spectacles equipped with special lenses, protective rims, etc., to prevent injury to the eyes from strong wind, flying objects, blinding light, etc.
- spectacles designed for a special purpose, as night-vision or stereoscopic goggles.
- Informal. glasses, or eyeglasses: I can't see a thing without my goggles.
verb (used without object), gog·gled, gog·gling.
verb (used with object), gog·gled, gog·gling.
CAN YOU FEEL THE WEAL WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ?
Origin of goggle
historical usage of goggle
The first senses of goggle dealt with the movement of the eyes—quite literally the rolling or bulging of eyes. It was not until the early 18th century that goggle took on meanings that extended beyond the eyeball (though not very far beyond). In the early 1700s, speakers of English used the plural goggles to refer to large, protective eye coverings. As the use of cars became more widespread in the early 20th century, the demand for driving goggles increased. Though only vintage car enthusiasts have a need for those today, safety goggles can commonly be found in any high school chemistry class that follows standard safety codes.
While those types of goggles are designed to protect, a new kind of goggles, which do nothing to protect the wearer— beer goggles —surfaced in English in the late 1980s. This slang term for the metaphorical goggles that extremely drunk people “wear,” with the effect of diminishing their judgment, is still widely used today.
OTHER WORDS FROM goggleun·gog·gled, adjective
Quotations related to goggle
- "Then came a volley of expletives in an unknown tongue, and in a voice so deep and harsh that the hair of the three heads bristled, and three pairs of eyes goggled with fright."-Charles M. Skinner The Devil’s Bridge: a Philippine Legend McBride’s Magazine, Volume 64 (1899)
- "Hari goggled his eyes, unrattled by my taunting."-Philip Palmer Version 43 (2010)
Words nearby goggle
Example sentences from the Web for goggle
Go to facebook.com/pages/Edward-Snowden for Goggle Street Views.Up to a Point: The U.S. Government’s Minimum Wage Is $430 Million Per Hour|P. J. O’Rourke|March 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Dr. Ingleby, for one, was distressed by its “painful stare, with goggle eyes and gaping mouth.”Summer Days in Shakespeare Land|Charles G. Harper
But the rest of the bunch could goggle at him from a distance and be darned to them.Skyrider|B. M. Bower
Isidorito was a lean, bashful young man, with deep precocious wrinkles in his cheeks, with thin hair and goggle eyes.The Marquis of Pealta (Marta y Mara)|Armando Palacio Valds
This is where WE comes in,' he added, nodding his head and winking his goggle eyes at the meeting.The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists|Robert Tressell
They'll goggle up at you and get dazed by the light, and then you can spear 'em as easy as picking blackberries.The Torch and Other Tales|Eden Phillpotts