[ goos-wing ]
/ ˈgusˌwɪŋ /

noun Nautical.

the weather clew of a square sail, held taut when the lee side of the sail is furled.
either of the triangular areas of a square sail left exposed to the wind when the middle part is lashed to the yard during a gale.
a triangular studdingsail.

Origin of goosewing

1350–1400; Middle English, for literal sense. See goose, wing Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019