- the particular group of persons forming the cabinet at any given time: The prime minister has formed a new government.
- the parliament along with the cabinet: The government has fallen.
FOR LEXICAL ALIMENTATION, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of government
grammar notes for government
pronunciation note for government
OTHER WORDS FROM government
Words nearby government
Example sentences from the Web for government
A few years back, designer John Galliano was fined by the government for sharing just such anti-semitic sentiments in public.Politicians Only Love Journalists When They're Dead|Luke O’Neil|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Not actual CIA agents, but U.S. government personnel who have worked very closely with the CIA, and who are fans of the show.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I think the response of the French government so far has been pretty appropriate in that regard.
The United States government might not release that information for years, if ever.
But most likely it was linked to the way priests identify with the poor in the face of government and criminal abuses.
No officer of the Italian government was to enter the Lateran or Vatican palaces upon any official mission.An Introduction to the History of Western Europe|James Harvey Robinson
The attempted suppression of his trade by the Egyptian Government drove him naturally into opposition.The River War|Winston S. Churchill
If not in the Government plan the secretary would under-take to make such a map.
Mrs. Morris then proceeded to give in fragmentary speeches an outline of the constitution and government of the estate.Desperate Remedies|Thomas Hardy
The non-importation act being still in force, these goods were seized as forfeited to the Government.The Second War with England, Vol. 1 of 2|J. T. Headley.
British Dictionary definitions for government
- the executive policy-making body of a political unit, community, etc; ministry or administrationyesterday we got a new government
- (capital when of a specific country)the British Government
- the state and its administrationblame it on the government
- (as modifier)a government agency