- the spirit of Greek thought, art, etc.
- adoption or imitation of this.
- an idiom or peculiarity of Greek.
Also especially British, Grae·cism.
Origin of Grecism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
esp US Grecism
- Greek characteristics or style
- admiration for or imitation of these, as in sculpture or architecture
- a form of words characteristic or imitative of the idiom of the Greek language
- a variant spelling (esp US) of Graecism
Graecise or esp US Grecize
- another word for Hellenize
C17: from Latin graecizāre to imitate the Greeks, from Greek graikizein