- the common or ordinary people, especially as contrasted with the leadership or elite of a political party, social organization, etc.; the rank and file.
- the agricultural and rural areas of a country.
- the people inhabiting these areas, especially as a political, social, or economic group.
- the origin or basis of something; the basic or primary concept, rule, part, or the like.
- of, relating to, or involving the common people, especially as contrasted with or separable from an elite: a grassroots movement for nuclear disarmament.
Origin of grassroots
Related Words for grassrootsmajor, paramount, integral, crucial, indispensable, constitutional, elemental, theoretical, underlying, necessary, vital, significant, radical, elementary, central, principal, intrinsic, essential, structural, prime
Examples from the Web for grassroots
Contemporary Examples of grassroots
The delegates were given envelopes containing $40,000 during a meeting about grassroots soccer initiatives.Is Soccer Great Lionel Messi Corrupt?
December 8, 2014
Either way, this is a conversation that is occurring not just at the penthouse level, but among the grassroots as well.Rand Paul, Chris Christie Laid Out Plans for Black Voters at Penthouse Forum
October 17, 2014
Grassroots organizing accompanied an agenda of legislative sabotage led by the Republican congressional hierarchy.Why Bigotry Persists
Stephen Eric Bronner
September 28, 2014
Then, Democratic strategists say, the grassroots were hungry for a real debate after eight years of George Bush.Does Team Hillary Want a Democratic Challenge?
September 25, 2014
Both mobilized a grassroots organization unprecedented in their countries, and both hawked progressive agendas.Scotland’s ‘Yes’ Campaign and the Myth of Scottish Equality
September 18, 2014
Historical Examples of grassroots
Goals 2000 links world-class standards to grassroots reforms and I hope Congress will pass it without delay.
In my budget, I propose a grassroots campaign to help inform families about these medical risks.
His eye to the grassroots, Gramps had long ago understood that everything was as old as creation itself and yet was eternally new.The Black Fawn
James Arthur Kjelgaard