- to give permission to proceed; authorize: The renovation project was green-lighted by the board of directors.
- a green-colored traffic light used to signal drivers, pedestrians, etc., that they may proceed.
- authorization; approval; permission: The railroad has been given the green light on the proposed fare increase.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for green-light
Obama also said Israel has “absolutely not” given Israel a green-light to attack Iran, as Biden had suggested.The Sovereign Nation of Biden
July 7, 2009
I saw among them two or three of the green-light hand weapons.The White Invaders
Raymond King Cummings
- a signal to go, esp a green traffic light
- permission to proceed with a project
- to permit (a project, etc) to proceed