Words nearby greening
Definition for greening (2 of 2)
adjective, green·er, green·est.
- (of sand) sufficiently moist to form a compact lining for a mold without further treatment.
- (of a casting) as it comes from the mold.
- (of a powder, in powder metallurgy) unsintered.
- fresh leaves or branches of trees, shrubs, etc., used for decoration; wreaths.
- the leaves and stems of plants, as spinach, lettuce, or cabbage, used for food.
- a blue-green uniform of the U.S. Army.
verb (used with or without object)
Origin of green
OTHER WORDS FROM green
Examples from the Web for greening
There are some obvious reasons for the greening of the car fleet.July was the Greenest Month Ever for U.S. Car Sales|Anna Batchelor|August 6, 2013|DAILY BEAST
But in this age of the greening of the U.S. auto fleet, so does smart engineering and pinching pennies.Detroit’s Green Leap Forward Pulls In to New York Auto Show|Daniel Gross|March 29, 2013|DAILY BEAST
As temperatures rise, the Sahara and other dry areas are greening on the edges.
Mrs. Greening was the first witness called by Hammer after the noon recess.The Bondboy|George W. (George Washington) Ogden
And oh, the lovely, greening floor of the wheat country now!The Prairie Wife|Arthur Stringer
With the exception of Duchess and possibly Patten's Greening we shall certainly sell our next crop in bushel boxes.
Pare, core, and quarter enough Baldwin or greening apples to fill a small stoneware jar.The Century Cook Book|Mary Ronald
No full leaves were as yet, but the grass was greening and the fisher boats were busy in the fiords.Ulric the Jarl|William O. Stoddard
British Dictionary definitions for greening (1 of 3)
Word Origin for greening
British Dictionary definitions for greening (2 of 3)
- the edible leaves and stems of certain plants, eaten as a vegetable
- freshly cut branches of ornamental trees, shrubs, etc, used as a decoration
Derived forms of greengreenish, adjectivegreenly, adverbgreenness, noungreeny, adjective
Word Origin for green
British Dictionary definitions for greening (3 of 3)
Idioms and Phrases with greening
In addition to the idioms beginning with green
- green about the gills
- green light, the
- green thumb
- green with envy
- grass is always greener