- a zinc or aluminum coin of Austria until the euro was adopted, the 100th part of a schilling.
- a German 10-pfennig piece made of nickel.
- any of the silver coins of various German regions first introduced in the 13th century.
Origin of groschen
Examples from the Web for groschen
Historical Examples of groschen
Maimon rescued Wolff's Metaphysics from a butterman for two groschen.Dreamers of the Ghetto
I wouldn't have the King know about this for a thousand groschen.History of the Moravian Church
J. E. Hutton
So Rollo took the two groschen from his pocket and paid him.Rollo on the Rhine
The Duke of Saxony wore grey hats which cost him four groschen.German Culture Past and Present
Ernest Belfort Bax
He waited for the good angel to throw him the "groschen" from the ceiling.Jewish Children
Sholem Naumovich Rabinovich
- a former Austrian monetary unit worth one hundredth of a schilling
- a former German coin worth ten pfennigs
- a former German silver coin