- any tree that exudes gum, as a eucalyptus, the sour gum, or the sweet gum.
- any of various other gum-yielding trees, as the sapodilla.
Origin of gum tree
Examples from the Web for gumtree
Historical Examples of gumtree
As it ran down the smooth branches of the gumtree and over the leaves it gradually congealed, and formed a white efflorescence.Discoveries in Australia, Volume 2
John Lort Stokes
He found Jacky where he had left him at the foot of a gumtree tall and smooth as an admiral's main-mast.It Is Never Too Late to Mend
- any of various trees that yield gum, such as the eucalyptus, sweet gum, and sour gumSometimes shortened to: gum
- Also called: gumwood the wood of the eucalyptus tree
- up a gumtree informal in a very awkward position; in difficulties