- a male given name, form of Harold.
- halogen lamp: The KL 1500 HAL is a 150-watt halogen cold light source.
- variant of halo- before a vowel: halite.
- Harold S(mith)Hal, born 1928, U.S. stage director and producer.
- a male given name.
- Harold Brent [brent] /brɛnt/, Hal, 1899–1986, U.S. film producer.
- John,1616–1703, English mathematician.
- a male given name, form of Wallace.
- a female given name.
Examples from the Web for hal
But the story that Hal goes through in the show is totally 100 percent different than what I've experienced.
I was definitely naive, I think the main similarity between me and Hal is that we were naive.
“Maybe we can get back to business,” he told Republican Hal Rogers, who chairs the Appropriations committee.Rep. David Price Remembers When a Less Partisan Congress Actually Worked
January 26, 2014
Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Hal from ‘Malcolm in the Middle.’‘Breaking Bad’ Meets ‘Malcolm in the Middle’ In Hilarious Alternate Ending, Starring Bryan Cranston
November 17, 2013
But, when Hal is busted for running a Madoff-esque Ponzi scheme, Augie gets wiped out, and Ginger bids him adieu.Andrew Dice Clay on ‘Blue Jasmine,’ His Alleged Misogyny, and More
July 25, 2013
By the way, if you're out of Hal's country, maybe you know Lanning, too?
The belt and the guns were tossed onto the bed, and Hal Dozier sat down.
He tossed them onto the table, and Hal Dozier rolled his smoke in silence.
The hunters were roving the open, and even Hal Dozier was at fault.
He lighted the lantern, and Hal Dozier went down the steep steps, humming.
- a variant of halo-
- (in Britain) a son of the sovereign or of one of the sovereign's sons
- a nonreigning male member of a sovereign family
- the monarch of a small territory, such as Monaco, usually called a principality, that was at some time subordinate to an emperor or king
- any sovereign; monarch
- a nobleman in various countries, such as Italy and Germany
- an outstanding member of a specified groupa merchant prince
- US and Canadian informal a generous and charming man
- full name Prince Rogers Nelson. born 1958, US rock singer, songwriter, record producer, and multi-instrumentalist. His albums include Dirty Mind (1981), Purple Rain (1984), Parade (1986), and Sign o' the Times (1987)
- the German name for Valais
- Sir Barnes (Neville). 1887–1979, English aeronautical engineer. He designed the airship R100, the Wellesley and Wellington bombers, and the bouncing bomb (1943), which was used to destroy the Ruhr dams during World War II
Word Origin and History for hal
c.1200, "ruler of a principality" (mid-12c. as a surname), from Old French prince "prince, noble lord" (12c.), from Latin princeps (genitive principis) "first man, chief leader; ruler, sovereign," noun use of adjective meaning "that takes first," from primus "first" (see prime (adj.)) + root of capere "to take" (see capable). German cognate fürst, from Old High German furist "first," is apparently an imitation of the Latin formation. Colloquial meaning "admirable or generous person" is from 1911, American English. Prince Regent was the title of George, Prince of Wales (later George VI) during the mental incapacity of George III (1811-1820).
- Variant ofhalo-