- the moon when, at either quadrature, half its disk is illuminated.
- the phase of the moon at this time.
- something having the shape of a half-moon or crescent.
Origin of half-moon
- the ship in which Henry Hudson made his voyage to explore America in 1609.
Related Words for half-moonarch, trajectory, arc, contour, loop, curvature, bow, crescent, round, bend, half-moon, satellite, pumpkin, planetoid, curve, meniscus, sickle, swerve, sweep, hairpin
Examples from the Web for half-moon
Historical Examples of half-moon
Guan Yu had a knife shaped like a half-moon which was called the Green Dragon.The Chinese Fairy Book
A half-moon in the sky showed her that the distance down was too far to jump.In Apple-Blossom Time
Clara Louise Burnham
The cross and the half-moon were fighting furiously for the upper hand in Spain.Legends of the Rhine
He was now waiting in his rooms at Half-Moon Street for the boy's arrival.The Twelfth Hour
A half-moon shone in the sky between the rifts of hurrying clouds.Sir Nigel
Arthur Conan Doyle
- the moon at first or last quarter when half its face is illuminated
- the time at which a half-moon occurs
- something shaped like a half-moon
- (as modifier)half-moon spectacles
- anatomy a nontechnical name for lunula