- (of seeds) not enclosed in an ovary.
- (of flowers) without a calyx or perianth.
- (of stalks, branches, etc.) without leaves.
- (of stalks, leaves, etc.) without hairs or pubescence.
Words nearby naked
Origin of naked
SYNONYMS FOR naked
ANTONYMS FOR naked
OTHER WORDS FROM naked
Examples from the Web for half-naked
Barba offered me a line of cocaine as we sat on his bunk bed covered by posters of musicians and half-naked women.Cocaine, Politicians and Wives: Inside the World’s Most Bizarre Prison|Jason Batansky|October 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Later, in 2003, pictures of a half-naked Smart—taken in prison—were published in The National Enquirer.Did Sexpot Schoolteacher Pamela Smart Hire Teens to Kill Her Husband?|Marlow Stern|January 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They are everywhere on television: dripping wet, heavy-breathing, half-naked men.The Olympics or Soft Porn? Female, Gay Fans Gawking at Male Athletes|Tricia Romano|August 3, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The red-band trailer for Magic Mike has already gone viral, with all the shots of half-naked McConaughey and Bomer.‘Magic Mike’ Review: 5 Strippers on the Channing Tatum Film|Ramin Setoodeh|June 29, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Magnotta plastered pictures of his own half-naked body all over the Internet.How Luka Magnotta, the Alleged ‘Cannibal Killer,’ Was Caught in Berlin|Winston Ross|June 5, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The shivering sentinel quickens his step along the rampart, and the half-naked Indian folds his tattered blanket close around him.
Domingo turned, and saw two half-naked men with Sniders standing in the trail.Long Odds|Harold Bindloss
He appeared to be half-naked; he raised aloft both arms, and bellowed down the canyon.The Rainbow Trail|Zane Grey
Every class was represented there, from the comparatively well-dressed swindler and forger to the peasant and half-naked gipsy.Roumania Past and Present|James Samuelson
The decks were beginning to swarm with half-awakened and half-naked Chinese.Tales of the Fish Patrol|Jack London
British Dictionary definitions for half-naked (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for half-naked (2 of 2)
- unsupported by authority or financial or other considerationa naked contract
- lacking some essential condition to render valid; incomplete
Derived forms of nakednakedly, adverbnakedness, noun
Word Origin for naked
Scientific definitions for half-naked
- Lacking a pericarp, as the seeds of the pine.
- Lacking a perianth, as the flowers of spurge.
- Unprotected by scales, as a bud.
- Having no leaves, as a branch or stem.
- Having no covering of fine, hairlike structures, as a stalk or leaf; glabrous.