- a process in which gradation of tone in an image is conveyed by first photographing the image through a screen to break up the continuous tones of the image into minute, closely spaced dots, then using the print obtained to produce a metal plate by photoengraving, and finally using the plate to reproduce the original image by letterpress or offset printing.
- the metal plate used in such a process.
- the print obtained in such a process.Compare line cut.
Words nearby halftone
Examples from the Web for halftone
Nine separate men handle each engraving in the halftone department.
In both cases, negatives are made of both the halftone and fine copies.
The halftone and the description ought to make the plant known to the most casual reader.The Mushroom, Edible and Otherwise|M. E. Hard
She also took a halftone snapshot of you out at the Coldtown dam, cut from a newspaper, published the Sunday after your accident.Red Pepper's Patients|Grace S. Richmond
Its use is very extensive in the making of tint blocks or color work, used either in connection with line or halftone key plates.
British Dictionary definitions for halftone
- a process used to reproduce an illustration by photographing it through a fine screen to break it up into dots
- the etched plate thus obtained
- the print obtained from such a plate