- writing done with a pen or pencil in the hand; script.
- a style or manner of writing by hand, especially that which characterizes a particular person; penmanship: an eccentric handwriting.
- a handwritten document; manuscript.
- handwriting on the wall, a premonition, portent, or clear indication, especially of failure or disaster: The company had ignored the handwriting on the wall and was plunged into bankruptcy.Also writing on the wall.
Origin of handwriting
- to write (something) by hand.
Origin of handwrite
Related Words for handwritingmanuscript, script, writing, scrawl, longhand, calligraphy, chirography, style, mark, scratching, hand, scribble, hieroglyphics, autography, ductus
Examples from the Web for handwriting
Contemporary Examples of handwriting
He sort of saw the handwriting on the wall, that it was going to be the end of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.How The Cold War Endgame Played Out In The Rubble Of The Berlin Wall
November 9, 2014
You might say that this is part of my side of the story… Please excuse my handwriting, punctuation, and spelling.Life as an Undocumented Immigrant
Jose Antonio Vargas
April 28, 2014
On Feb 1,2014 Neubauer was summoned by OSI and forced to provide a handwriting sample.Spies, Lies, and Rape in the Air Force: An Undercover Agent's Story
March 4, 2014
In the hospital the state of his handwriting was terrible, he says, but he “scribbled” much of Inside a Pearl while in hospital.Edmund White: Sex, Success, and Survival
February 11, 2014
“I think she was a little embarrassed about her handwriting and having it being seen on national television,” Kornacki said.How MSNBC's Steve Kornacki Broke the Latest Christie Scandal
January 21, 2014
Historical Examples of handwriting
I can show it to you, if you desire it, in my father's handwriting.
I have seen the letter; it is in Captain Rushton's handwriting.
His handwriting does not run quite as far as the queen's writ in this country yet.In the Midst of Alarms
His articles had been typewritten and she had never seen his handwriting.Her Father's Daughter
And I saw that the address, scrawled in pencil, was in Anthony's handwriting.It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
- writing by hand rather than by typing or printing
- a person's characteristic writing stylethat signature is in my handwriting
An ordinary note in his [Horace Greeley's] handwriting is said to have been used for a long time as a railroad pass, then as a servant's recommendation, and finally taken to a drug-store as a doctor's prescription. ["Frank Leslie's Magazine," August 1884]