- unswervingly committed; uncompromising; dedicated: a hard-core segregationist.
- relating to or containing sexually arousing depictions that are very graphic or explicit: hard-core pornography.Compare soft-core.
- being so without apparent change or remedy; chronic: hard-core inflation; hard-core unemployment.
- very intense or extreme: hard-core workouts at the gym.
- Usually hard·core. noting or relating to the music genre hardcore, or the subculture, clothing style, etc., associated with it: hardcore t-shirts and jeans.
- noting or relating to video games that can only be mastered with advanced skill and are played in longer sessions, or noting a player of such games: hard-core gaming.Compare casual(def 8).
Origin of hard-core
- the permanent, dedicated, and completely faithful nucleus of a group or movement, as of a political party.
- an unyielding or intransigent element in a social or organizational structure, as that part of a group consisting of longtime adherents or those resistant to change.
- those whose condition seems to be without hope of remedy or change.
- Usually hard·core. a form of punk rock or other nonmainstream popular music played in an intense, harsh, and fast style with more emphasis on rhythm than on melody.
Origin of hard core
Related Words for hardcoreincurable, hard-core, habitual, addicted, hardened, lifelong, salacious, pornographic, vulgar, indecent, prurient, lewd, naughty, ribald, off-color, erotic, obscene, racy, lascivious, suggestive
Examples from the Web for hardcore
Contemporary Examples of hardcore
But that is of most interest either to hardcore Democrats or to non-voters clinging to the bottom of the economy.The Only Way for Democrats to Win
October 24, 2014
Anyone who had any doubts about his seriousness soon lost them because it was clear that Peter was hardcore.ISIS Thugs Behead Peter Kassig
October 4, 2014
In his younger days, Bennett killed fascists, became a hardcore anti-war liberal, and fought for civil rights.Tony Bennett’s Nazi Hunting Past Is Just One Reason He’s the Greatest Living American
September 25, 2014
They splintered themselves into two categories: “Hardcore” and “Casual.”Death of ‘Gamer’ Identity: How Hardcore Trolls Pwned Themselves
September 17, 2014
And that evening it created the scene of hardcore hip-hop heads mingling with comic nerds.Bam! Pow! Bling! Hip-Hop's History Gets the Graphic Novel Treatment
August 25, 2014
Historical Examples of hardcore
After me, she was hands-down the most hardcore player in our group.Little Brother
- a style of rock music characterized by short fast numbers with minimal melody and aggressive delivery
- a type of dance music with a very fast beat
- the members of a group or movement who form an intransigent nucleus resisting change
- material, such as broken bricks, stones, etc, used to form a foundation for a road, paving, building, etc
- (of pornography) describing or depicting sexual acts in explicit detail
- extremely committed or fanaticala hard-core Communist