- any plant of the genus Phaseolus, especially P. vulgaris, the kidney bean.
- the seed or unripe pod of any of these plants, eaten as a vegetable.
Origin of haricot1
- a stew of lamb or mutton with turnips and potatoes.
Origin of haricot2
Examples from the Web for haricot
Historical Examples of haricot
The dinner was composed of soup made of everything, and of veal with haricot beans.My Double Life
These, as well as haricot beans, may be boiled with a piece of bacon.A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes
Charles Elm Francatelli
A bag of beans, of the variety known as "haricot," is the next candidate.A Labrador Doctor
Wilfred Thomason Grenfell
Next in usefulness to the haricot bean comes the German lentil.
When tender, mix with the haricot beans, and serve with sippets of toast.
- a variety of French bean with light-coloured edible seeds, which can be dried and stored
- another name for French bean
- the seed or pod of any of these plants, eaten as a vegetable