- a series in which the reciprocals of the terms form an arithmetic progression.
- the divergent infinite series, 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 + . . . .
Origin of harmonic series
First recorded in 1865–70
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- maths a series whose terms are in harmonic progression, as in 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + …
- acoustics the series of tones with frequencies strictly related to one another and to the fundamental tone, as obtained by touching lightly the node points of a string while playing it. Its most important application is in the playing of brass instruments
- A series whose terms are in harmonic progression, especially the series 1 + 12 + 13 + 14 + .... and so on.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.