- forward movement; progress in a forward direction: The ship's headway was slowed by the storm.
- progress in general: headway in a career.
- rate of progress: a slight headway against concerted opposition.
- the time interval or distance between two vehicles, as automobiles, ships, or railroad or subway cars, traveling in the same direction over the same route.
- make headway, to proceed forward; advance; progress.
Origin of headway1
Origin of headway2
Related Words for headwayadvancement, advance, march, progression, improvement, increase, proficiency, way, promotion, ground, anabasis
Examples from the Web for headway
Contemporary Examples of headway
McCain and Graham also had a long meeting with Burns Tuesday, but McCain declined to say whether Burns was making any headway.Exclusive: John McCain on His Meeting With the Muslim Brotherhood in Cairo
August 6, 2013
He was performing the task during a royal visit to Headway, a charity that helps people with brain injuries.Practice Makes Perfect: Uncle Harry Changes A Baby's Diaper
April 25, 2013
We've both been struggling with unemployment and underemployment, and we're just now starting to make some headway.Why I Choose to Be Child-Free: Readers Share Their Stories
February 27, 2013
Even as U.S./NATO forces make some headway here and there, little comes in behind them to solidify gains.Obama's Afghan Nightmare
Leslie H. Gelb
June 16, 2010
Even Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf has made some headway here.Don't Listen to Experts on Afghanistan
May 28, 2010
Historical Examples of headway
For a time he had seemed to make no headway against his hill-born appetite.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Would we—make any—headway, sir, with the schooner's—light machinery?The Cruise of the Dry Dock
T. S. Stribling
Over on Iverak the Serbians had succeeded in making some headway.
With the people of the country of her adoption, whether Jews or Moors, she made no headway.The Scapegoat
The headway of the skiff was slow, but my efforts were not silent.
- motion in a forward directionthe vessel made no headway
- progress or rate of progresshe made no headway with the problem
- another name for headroom
- the distance or time between consecutive trains, buses, etc, on the same route
Word Origin and History for headway
Idioms and Phrases with headway
see make headway.