- of or in the heavens: the heavenly bodies.
- of, belonging to, or coming from the heaven of God, the angels, etc.
- resembling or befitting heaven; blissful; beautiful: His home in Tahiti was a heavenly spot.
- divine or celestial: heavenly peace.
Origin of heavenly
Synonyms for heavenlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for heavenly
Related Words for heavenlycelestial, angelic, holy, delectable, wonderful, supernatural, glorious, delicious, ravishing, lovely, blissful, divine, luscious, sublime, adorable, alluring, ambrosial, beatific, beautiful, blessed
- informal alluring, wonderful, or sublime
- of or occurring in spacea heavenly body
- divine; holy
Old English heofonlic "celestial; chaste;" see heaven + -ly (1). Meaning "beautiful, divinely lovely" is late 14c., often (though not originally) with reference to the celestial "music of the spheres;" weakened sense of "excellent, enjoyable" is first recorded 1874. The heavenly bodies (stars, planets, etc.) attested from late 14c. Related: Heavenliness.