- nonwoody vegetation.
- the succulent parts, leaves and stems, of herbaceous plants.
- Law. the right to pasture one's cattle on another's land.
- British. vegetation grazed by animals; pasturage.
Origin of herbage
Related Words for herbageflora, greenery, fodder, grass, meadow, grazing, vegetation, verdure, trees, flowers, herbage, feed, chaff, forage, provender, swath, range, lea, feeding, inactivity
Examples from the Web for herbage
Historical Examples of herbage
The spring which feeds it is yonder in that big tuft of herbage.Fruitfulness
She still had her apron full of herbage with her, and her pets were taking it by assault.Abbe Mouret's Transgression
She blushed, and looked past him at the Six Hills, covered with spring herbage.Howards End
E. M. Forster
All around was desolation: no spring, no herbage; the bird and the insect were alike mute.Alroy
This has been attributed to the abundance of herbage they are then able to obtain.The Physical Life of Woman:
Dr. George H Napheys
- herbaceous plants collectively, esp the edible parts on which cattle, sheep, etc, graze
- the vegetation of pasture land; pasturage