- a professed believer who maintains religious opinions contrary to those accepted by his or her church or rejects doctrines prescribed by that church.
- Roman Catholic Church. a baptized Roman Catholic who willfully and persistently rejects any article of faith.
- anyone who does not conform to an established attitude, doctrine, or principle.
Origin of heretic
Synonyms for hereticSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for heretic
Contemporary Examples of heretic
Her latest book, Heretic: The Case for a Muslim Reformation, will be published in April by HarperCollins.Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Our Duty Is to Keep Charlie Hebdo Alive
Ayaan Hirsi Ali
January 8, 2015
In a 2009 profile of the right-wing firebrand, The New Yorker called Savage “a heretic among heretics.”The Godfather of Right-Wing Radio
November 23, 2014
So how is she going to live in this society where you die for being a heretic?Philippa Gregory: How I Write
July 24, 2013
The Heretic Andrew Ferguson, The Weekly Standard Who is Thomas Nagel and why are so many of his fellow academics condemning him?The Week’s Best Longreads for March 23, 2013
March 23, 2013
As is so often the case in religious history, it is the heretic who shows the weakness of the believer.Bad Faith on Two States
June 4, 2012
Historical Examples of heretic
And first, Mr. Blindman, the foreman, said: I see clearly that this man is a heretic.Bunyan
James Anthony Froude
Doctors of divinity said, "He is a heretic; he contradicts the Bible."
People of the only true faith cannot bear to be governed by a heretic nation.
So long as a heretic power is at the head, so long Ireland will be discontented.
Heretic he may be, but he has the trust of Ramon Rotil, and of me.The Treasure Trail
Marah Ellis Ryan
- mainly RC Church a person who maintains beliefs contrary to the established teachings of the Church
- a person who holds unorthodox opinions in any field
mid-14c., from Old French eretique (14c., Modern French hérétique), from Church Latin haereticus, from Greek hairetikos "able to choose," the verbal adjective of hairein (see heresy).