- a protective case or covering, especially for winter, as of an animal or a plant bud.
- winter quarters, as of a hibernating animal.
Origin of hibernaculum
Examples from the Web for hibernaculum
Historical Examples of hibernaculum
Young caterpillar with hibernaculum (h); caterpillar and chrysalis.The Butterflies of the British Isles
Soil temperatures were taken in the present study only when the turtle was in a form, hibernaculum, or den.
There is little movement during dormancy except for the deepening or horizontal extension of the hibernaculum.
Hibernaculum: a tent or sheath made out of a leaf or other material in which a larva hides or hibernates.Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology
John. B. Smith
When the hibernaculum is finished the seam is perfectly smooth and the hole inside is lined with silk.Butterflies Worth Knowing
Clarence M. Weed
- the winter quarters of a hibernating animal
- the protective case or covering of a plant bud or animal
Word Origin for hibernaculum
- A protective case, covering, or structure, such as a plant bud, in which an organism remains dormant for the winter.
- The shelter of a hibernating animal.