- the excessive production of sweat.
Origin of hidrosis
1890–95; < Greek hídrōsis sweating, equivalent to hidrō-, variant stem of hidroûn to sweat, verbal derivative of hidrṓs sweat + -sis -sis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a technical word for sweating or sweatSee sweat
- any skin disease affecting the sweat glands
- Also called: hyperhidrosis (ˌhaɪpəhɪˈdrəʊsɪs, -haɪˈdrəʊsɪs) pathol excessive perspiration
C18: via New Latin from Greek: sweating, from hidrōs sweat
- The formation and excretion of sweat.
- Sweat, especially in excessive or abnormal amounts.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.