- an emphatic appositive of him or he1: He himself spoke to the men.
- a reflexive form of him: He cut himself.
- (used in absolute constructions): Himself the soul of honor, he included many rascals among his intimates.
- (used as the object of a preposition or as the direct or indirect object of a verb): The old car had room only for himself and three others.
- (used in comparisons after as or than): His wife is as stingy as himself.
- his normal or customary self: He is himself again.
- Irish English. a man of importance, especially the master of the house: Himself will be wanting an early dinner.
Origin of himself
Examples from the Web for himself
Contemporary Examples of himself
In the first episode, an officer is shown video of himself shooting and killing a man.'Babylon' Review: The Dumb Lives of Trigger-Happy Cops
January 9, 2015
And as he adjusted to this change in circumstances, he screamed at himself a second time: Wait!Powerful Congressman Writes About ‘Fleshy Breasts’
January 7, 2015
Lucas said that he himself nonetheless hopes to become a cop.Shot Down During the NYPD Slowdown
January 7, 2015
Unlike the characters he plays, men who came from nowhere and, as he himself puts it, “go home to nobody.”The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile
January 3, 2015
Antoine himself had recently been arrested on a six-year-old warrant for a dime bag of weed.Ground Zero of the NYPD Slowdown
January 1, 2015
Historical Examples of himself
"In all Geta's troubles, he thinks more of you than he does of himself," said she.
"And that would be all the same as telling Alcibiades himself," rejoined Milza.
"That's a pretty good afternoon's work," he said to himself.
"I am sure some of the old man's money is here," he said to himself.
I want him to think he ain't got a friend on earth but himself.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
- the reflexive form of he or him
- (intensifier)the king himself waved to me
- (preceded by a copula) his normal or usual selfhe seems himself once more
- Irish and Scot the man of the househow is himself?