- guilty of fleeing the scene of an accident or injury one has caused, especially a vehicular accident, thereby attempting to evade being identified and held responsible: a hit-and-run driver.
- involving or resulting from such action or conduct: hit-and-run fatalities.
- Baseball. pertaining to or noting a play in which, to get a head start, a base runner begins to run to the next base as the pitcher delivers the ball to the batter, who must try to hit it in order to protect the runner.
- marked by taking flight immediately after a quick, concentrated attack: a hit-and-run raid.
- Baseball. to attempt or execute a hit-and-run play.
Origin of hit-and-run
Related Words for hit-and-runexecutioner, criminal, soldier, assassin, perpetrator, capture, break-in, onslaught, sortie, sweep, arrest, assault, invasion, incursion, homicide, killer, butcher, slayer, cutthroat, enforcer
Examples from the Web for hit-and-run
Contemporary Examples of hit-and-run
The speakers included a man who had been struck by a hit-and-run driver who had then been chased down by Chubby.How Brooklyn’s First Ice Cream Girl Fought City Hall–and Won
October 13, 2014
Her mother has mental-health problems, and physical-health problems, which deteriorated after a hit-and-run accident.Will Jordan Davis Become the First Transgender Miss England?
February 28, 2014
Thomas Daniels was convicted of DUI and arrested a year later on hit-and-run charges.Is ‘American Idol’ Racist?
July 26, 2013
Another case, this one a hit-and-run charge, was dismissed in 2008.Robert Bales, the Army Staff Sgt. Accused of Killing 16 Afghans
March 18, 2012
The riots may have turned deadly too, as three men were killed in Birmingham in a hit-and-run.Cameron: Rioters Will Pay
August 11, 2011
Historical Examples of hit-and-run
But, Lucas, this Tanith adventure; we're not making any hit-and-run raid.Space Viking
Henry Beam Piper
Pete got the signal for a hit-and-run play and swung at the third ball.The Lucky Seventh
Ralph Henry Barbour
He wanted to know what fouls were, and how to steal bases, and he was nonplussed by such terms as “hit-and-run.”The Young Pitcher
And the Kerothi Fleet was being decimated by the hit-and-run tactics of the Earth's ghost ships.The Highest Treason
A detective brings you a minute sample of paint taken from the clothing of a hit-and-run victim.The Atomic Fingerprint
- involved in or denoting a motor-vehicle accident in which the driver leaves the scene without stopping to give assistance, inform the police, etc
- (as noun)a hit-and-run
- (of an attack, raid, etc) relying on surprise allied to a rapid departure from the scene of operations for the desired effecthit-and-run tactics
- baseball denoting a play in which a base runner begins to run as the pitcher throws the ball to the batter