- special rank or distinction conferred by a university, college, or school upon a student for eminence in scholarship or success in some particular subject.
- an advanced course of study for superior students.Compare honors course.
- Bridge. any of the five highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, jack, or ten in the trump suit, or any of the four aces in a no-trump contract.Compare honor trick.
- Whist. any of the four highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, or jack in the trump suit.
verb (used with object)
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PUNCTUATION QUIZ
Idioms for honor
- to show respect to.
- to be a credit to: Such good students would do honor to any teacher.
Origin of honor
SYNONYMS FOR honor
synonym study for honor
OTHER WORDS FROM honor
Words nearby honor
Example sentences from the Web for honoring
Followers had traveled many miles to mourn the loss, and aid in the ritual washing, dressing, and honoring of the body.Jail Threats for Sierra Leone Ebola Victims’ Families|Abby Haglage|December 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But this week, even as a new cabinet was sworn in, the Houthis showed no signs of honoring their commitment to demobilize.
But it seems to be as if archaeology is, in some sense, about honoring the losers' story, too, right?
“Honoring predator Harvey Milk on a U.S. postage stamp is disturbing to say the least,” reads the press release.
Republicans in Oregon are honoring two victims of gun violence by auctioning off an AR-15.
After honoring the village of Little Missouri with our presence for several hours, we saddled up and started to meet the cattle.The Outlet|Andy Adams
In honoring him the governor set an example that the whole town followed, and the period of his stay was almost a constant levee.Lee and Longstreet at High Tide|Helen D. Longstreet
Judith shivered at the mere thought of honoring but one father.Rebecca's Promise|Frances R. Sterrett
To me he seemed a dutiful child, fearing God and honoring his parent.The Bravo|J. Fenimore Cooper
At the head of this heroic army, foremost of all, stands Voltaire, whose memory we are honoring tonight.The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. 3 (of 12)|Robert G. Ingersoll
British Dictionary definitions for honoring
Idioms and Phrases with honoring
In addition to the idiom beginning with honor
- honor bound
- do the honors
- in honor of
- on one's honor
- word of honor