- special rank or distinction conferred by a university, college, or school upon a student for eminence in scholarship or success in some particular subject.
- an advanced course of study for superior students.Compare honors course.
- Bridge. any of the five highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, jack, or ten in the trump suit, or any of the four aces in a no-trump contract.Compare honor trick.
- Whist. any of the four highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, or jack in the trump suit.
verb (used with object)
- to show respect to.
- to be a credit to: Such good students would do honor to any teacher.
Origin of honor
SYNONYMS FOR honor
Examples from the Web for honor
In honor of her big year, here are some little-known facts about the songstress, courtesy of BuzzFeed.
One of the honor guard approached with slow, measured steps and presented the flag to a uniformed captain.Choking Back Tears, Thousands of Cops Honor Fallen Officer Ramos|Michael Daly|December 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Even the queen saw fit to honor him with the Order of the British Empire at Buckingham Palace in 2008.
Induction would be a fitting gesture, even now when the honor would be posthumous.
But the greatest sin of all for Francis is perhaps that of careerism, chiding those who honor people rather than God.Pope Francis Denounces the Vatican Elite’s 'Spiritual Alzheimer’s'|Barbie Latza Nadeau|December 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But the youth is young, brave, and should live in honor and high promotion.The War Tiger|Wiliam Dalton
You mean that you do not know how to honor and trust when you lose faith.Tessa Wadsworth's Discipline|Jennie M. Drinkwater
The defendant's whereabouts were unknown to us, your Honor, and the court allowed us to serve notice by publication.Lightnin'|Frank Bacon
Ourdays always wound up with an extra good dinner, and a touch of gala costume in honor of the occasion.Marjorie's Busy Days|Carolyn Wells
The honor, such as it is, belongs to our aerial godfather, among whose lesser vices may be included that of practical joking.High Adventure|James Norman Hall
British Dictionary definitions for honor
Idioms and Phrases with honor
In addition to the idiom beginning with honor
- honor bound
- do the honors
- in honor of
- on one's honor
- word of honor