- a gift, testimonial, compliment, or the like, given as due or in acknowledgment of gratitude or esteem.
- a stated sum or other valuable consideration paid by one sovereign or state to another in acknowledgment of subjugation or as the price of peace, security, protection, or the like.
- a rent, tax, or the like, as that paid by a subject to a sovereign.
- any exacted or enforced payment or contribution.
- obligation or liability to make such payment.
Origin of tribute
Synonyms for tributeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for tributegratitude, memorial, gift, eulogy, appreciation, accolade, recognition, respect, honor, compliment, salvo, applause, commendation, citation, panegyric, encomium, offering, esteem, recommendation, salutation
Examples from the Web for tribute
Contemporary Examples of tribute
The following page details a tribute gag the Simpsons team inserted into the background of a scene.Here’s the Lost Judd Apatow ‘Simpsons’ Episode, Penned by Judd Apatow
January 6, 2015
They instead announced a tribute to the two fallen officers.Cop Families Boo De Blasio at NYPD Graduation
December 30, 2014
This video of one of his last, and most impressive, stunts was released as a tribute to his memory.Dirtbike Flips over Stunt Plane
Alex Chancey, The Daily Beast Video
October 21, 2014
A tribute to legendary photographer Irving Penn sparked it all.The Man Behind Marilyn Malkovich
October 2, 2014
Realistically, what I saw was exactly what I would have expected at a Grateful Dead tribute show.Patted Down by India’s Hugging Saint
July 20, 2014
Historical Examples of tribute
It is a tribute to the memory and worth of one of his early friends at Eton.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
I noted the tribute to the staid painter, and nodded approvingly.The Underdog
F. Hopkinson Smith
The tribute that we pay to achievements that resembles, but do not equal, our own.The Devil's Dictionary
Sabbath or no Sabbath, the Glen cannot let him pass without some tribute of their pride.A Doctor of the Old School, Part 3
The bosom received this tribute in its most engaging manner.Little Dorrit
- a gift or statement made in acknowledgment, gratitude, or admiration
- a payment by one ruler or state to another, usually as an acknowledgment of submission
- any tax levied for such a payment
- (in feudal society) homage or a payment rendered by a vassal to his lord
- the obligation to pay tribute
Word Origin for tribute
mid-14c., "tax paid to a ruler or master for security or protection," from Latin tributum "tribute," literally "a thing contributed or paid," noun use of tributus, neuter past participle of tribuere "to pay, assign, grant," also "allot among the tribes or to a tribe," from tribus (see tribe). Sense of "offering, gift, token" is first recorded 1580s.