noun, verb (used with object), adjective Chiefly British.
Words nearby honour
usage note for honour
Definition for honours (2 of 2)
- special rank or distinction conferred by a university, college, or school upon a student for eminence in scholarship or success in some particular subject.
- an advanced course of study for superior students.Compare honors course.
- Bridge. any of the five highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, jack, or ten in the trump suit, or any of the four aces in a no-trump contract.Compare honor trick.
- Whist. any of the four highest trump cards, as an ace, king, queen, or jack in the trump suit.
verb (used with object)
Origin of honor
SYNONYMS FOR honor
OTHER WORDS FROM honor
synonym study for honor
Examples from the Web for honours
All the honours which a physician can possess I either enjoy, or have refused when they were offered to me.Jerome Cardan|William George Waters
She received very good society, and did the honours of her drawing-room marvellously well.The Memoires of Casanova, Complete|Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
The last remains of a relation are interred with all the honours that the family can afford.
Biordo used his power well, and every year his fame and honours increased.The Story of Perugia|Margaret Symonds
I asked one venerable looking officer, with his breast covered with honours, what he thought about the Mutiny.
British Dictionary definitions for honours (1 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for honours (2 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for honours (3 of 4)
- a title used to or of certain judges
- (in Ireland) a form of address in general use
British Dictionary definitions for honours (4 of 4)
- fame or glory
- a person or thing that wins this for anotherhe is an honour to the school
- bridge poker any of the top five cards in a suit or any of the four aces at no trumps
- whist any of the top four cards
- to pay homage to
- to be a credit to
- to serve as host or hostess
- to perform a social act, such as carving meat, proposing a toast, etc
Derived forms of honourhonourer or US honorer, nounhonourless or US honorless, adjective
Word Origin for honour
Idioms and Phrases with honours
In addition to the idiom beginning with honor
- honor bound
- do the honors
- in honor of
- on one's honor
- word of honor