- the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best: to give up hope.
- a particular instance of this feeling: the hope of winning.
- grounds for this feeling in a particular instance: There is little or no hope of his recovery.
- a person or thing in which expectations are centered: The medicine was her last hope.
- something that is hoped for: Her forgiveness is my constant hope.
- to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.
- to believe, desire, or trust: I hope that my work will be satisfactory.
- to feel that something desired may happen: We hope for an early spring.
- Archaic. to place trust; rely (usually followed by in).
- hope against hope, to continue to hope, although the outlook does not warrant it: We are hoping against hope for a change in her condition.
Origin of hope
SynonymsSee more synonyms for hope on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for hoping
But for those on the Israeli right who are hoping that this deferred dream will just fade away, they can forget it.In the Middle East, the Two-State Solution Is Dead
January 2, 2015
What image are you hoping people who pick up this book and read it, come away with?Tim Howard’s Wall of Intensity
December 22, 2014
We later learned that she had left him and was hoping he would catch the hint.A Million Ways to Die in Prison
December 8, 2014
They told me that Advent was all about waiting and hoping – that they were indeed a community of waiting and hoping.
But for all of us, a lot of life is still waiting and hoping.
"Here's hoping we'll soon be back in God's own country," said Oldaker, raising his glass.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
I am hoping that some readers will look on this collection primarily as a book of poems.The Garden of Bright Waters
With clouded brow he eagerly scanned the empty fields, hoping for help.In the Midst of Alarms
I know you said you wouldn't meet me, but I'm hoping you'll change your mind.The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
He was looking up at the crowd, hoping to see his father and brother.Buried Cities, Part 2
- (sometimes plural) a feeling of desire for something and confidence in the possibility of its fulfilmenthis hope for peace was justified; their hopes were dashed
- a reasonable ground for this feelingthere is still hope
- a person or thing that gives cause for hope
- a thing, situation, or event that is desiredmy hope is that prices will fall
- not a hope or some hope used ironically to express little confidence that expectations will be fulfilled
- (tr; takes a clause as object or an infinitive) to desire (something) with some possibility of fulfilmentwe hope you can come; I hope to tell you
- (intr often foll by for) to have a wish (for a future event, situation, etc)
- (tr; takes a clause as object) to trust, expect, or believewe hope that this is satisfactory
- Anthony, real name Sir Anthony Hope Hawkins. 1863–1933, English novelist; author of The Prisoner of Zenda (1894)
- Bob, real name Leslie Townes Hope. 1903–2003, US comedian and comic actor, born in England. His films include The Cat and the Canary (1939), Road to Morocco (1942), and The Paleface (1947). He was awarded an honorary knighthood in 1998
- David (Michael). Baron. born 1940, British churchman, Archbishop of York (1995–2005)
Word Origin and History for hoping
c.1300, verbal noun from hope (v.).
Old English hopian "wish, expect, look forward (to something)," of unknown origin, a general North Sea Germanic word (cf. Old Frisian hopia, Middle Low German, Middle Dutch, Dutch hopen; Middle High German hoffen "to hope," borrowed from Low German). Some suggest a connection with hop (v.) on the notion of "leaping in expectation" [Klein]. Related: Hoped; hoping.
Old English hopa, from hope (v.). Cf. Old Frisian and Middle Dutch hope, Dutch hoop, all from their respective verbs.
Idioms and Phrases with hoping
In addition to the idioms beginning with hope
- hope against hope
- hope springs eternal
- great white hope
- in hopes of
- live in (hope of)
- not a hope in hell
- pin one's hopes on
- while there's life, there's hope