Origin of host1
OTHER WORDS FROM hosthostless, adjectivehostship, noun
Words nearby host
Other definitions for host (2 of 3)
Other definitions for host (3 of 3)
Origin of Host
How to use host in a sentence
Jon Taffer is a bar owner, consultant, and host of the television program Bar Rescue.
The underlying reasons that make overruns inevitable, Flyvjberg said, include the lack of ability of a host to reverse its decision, or any chance to save on cost by delaying the project.
Source Andrew Mangum for OZYMany international players stay with host families for the duration of the season.Can Small-Town America Survive Pandemic’s Hit to Minor League Baseball?|Charu Kasturi|September 14, 2020|Ozy
When the pandemic forced remote work, content became what influencers, celebrities and show hosts could create from the comfort of their homes and often from their iPhones.‘Our goal is to become a massive marketplace’: NTWRK is bringing livestream commerce to a younger generation|Kayleigh Barber|September 14, 2020|Digiday
The next Book Club episode we’re planning will have me as host again.What if Your Company Had No Rules? (Bonus Episode)|Maria Konnikova|September 12, 2020|Freakonomics
When we had that meeting in the Caribbean, Jeffrey was holding his own and not only was he a pleasant host, he was pleasant guy.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Kyle Dietrich, 36, is a host of one of the DC Dinner Parties.
At his Tucson hacienda he is a gracious host and a good neighbor.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Earlier in the segment, host Chuck Todd had asked him if he understood and acknowledged that black people have a fear of police.
NBC News boss Deborah Turness abruptly ousted the ‘Meet the Press’ host four months ago.David Gregory's 'Meet the Press' Eviction Exposed in Washingtonian Takedown|Lloyd Grove|December 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And with that the host gave him such a kick as sent him howling into the street, amidst the roars of the company.
My self-appointed host, whose name was Goodell, waved me to a chair, and took one opposite.Raw Gold|Bertrand W. Sinclair
Everybody was sorry to go when they left, and their host regretted the departure of his visitors.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
There was a host of friends and acquaintances around the little home, making merry and admiring the baby.Alila, Our Little Philippine Cousin|Mary Hazelton Wade
Elmer Spiker, mine host of the inn, was huddled close to the stove, and was reading by the light of a lamp.The Soldier of the Valley|Nelson Lloyd
British Dictionary definitions for host (1 of 3)
- a country or organization which provides facilities for and receives visitors to an event
- (as modifier)the host nation
- an animal or plant that nourishes and supports a parasite
- an animal, esp an embryo, into which tissue is experimentally grafted
Word Origin for host
British Dictionary definitions for host (2 of 3)
Word Origin for host
British Dictionary definitions for host (3 of 3)
Word Origin for Host
Scientific definitions for host
- The larger of two organisms in a symbiotic relationship.
- An organism or cell on or in which a parasite lives or feeds.♦ A definitive host is an organism in which a parasite reaches sexual maturity. The anopheles mosquito is the definitive host for the malaria plasmodium because, while the mosquito is not adversely affected by the plasmodium's presence, it is the organism in which the plasmodium matures and reproduces.♦ An intermediate host is an organism in which a parasite develops but does not attain sexual maturity. Humans and certain other vertebrates are the intermediate host of the malaria plasmodium.♦ A paratenic host is an organism which may be required for the completion of a parasite's life cycle but in which no development of the parasite occurs. The unhatched eggs of nematodes are sometimes carried in a paratenic host such as a bird or rodent. When a predator eats the paratenic host, the eggs are ingested as well.