- Also hygienics. the science that deals with the preservation of health.
- a condition or practice conducive to the preservation of health, as cleanliness.
Origin of hygiene
- Also called: hygienics the science concerned with the maintenance of health
- clean or healthy practices or thinkingpersonal hygiene
Word Origin and History for hygienes
1670s, from French hygiène, ultimately from Greek hygieine techne "the healthful art," from hygies "healthy," literally "living well" (personified as the goddess Hygieia), from PIE *eyu-gwie-es- "having a vigorous life." The Greek adjective was used by Aristotle as a noun meaning "health."
- The science that deals with the promotion and preservation of health.hygienics
- The conditions and practices that serve to promote or preserve health, as those followed for personal hygiene.