a function of an angle expressed as a relationship between the distances from a point on a hyperbola to the origin and to the coordinate axes, as hyperbolic sine or hyperbolic cosine: often expressed as combinations of exponential functions.
CAN YOU GUESS THESE WORDS FROM AROUND THE US?
American English is not always as it appears to be ... get to know regional words in this quiz!
Question 1 of 10
A bet is synonymous with a wager, but what does it mean in New York?
Origin of hyperbolic function
First recorded in 1885–90
Words nearby hyperbolic function
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
British Dictionary definitions for hyperbolic function
any of a group of functions of an angle expressed as a relationship between the distances of a point on a hyperbola to the origin and to the coordinate axes. The group includes sinh (hyperbolic sine), cosh (hyperbolic cosine), tanh (hyperbolic tangent), sech (hyperbolic secant), cosech (hyperbolic cosecant), and coth (hyperbolic cotangent)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Scientific definitions for hyperbolic function
[ hī′pər-bŏl′ĭk ]
Any of a set of six functions related, for a real or complex variable x, to the hyperbola in a manner analogous to the relationship of the trigonometric functions to a circle, including:
- The hyperbolic sine, defined by the equation sinh x = 12(ex - e-x).
- The hyperbolic cosine, defined by the equation cosh x = 12(ex + e-x).
- The hyperbolic tangent, defined by the equation tanh x = sinh x/cosh x.
- The hyperbolic cotangent, defined by the equation coth x = cosh x/sinh x.
- The hyperbolic secant, defined by the equation sech x = 1/cosh x.
- The hyperbolic cosecant, defined by the equation csch x = 1/sinh x.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.