- abnormal enlargement of a part or organ; excessive growth.
- excessive growth or accumulation of any kind.
- to affect with or undergo hypertrophy.
Origin of hypertrophy
Examples from the Web for hypertrophied
Historical Examples of hypertrophied
The villi are hypertrophied, looking often like minute polypi.
Pathologically the heart is large, at times true cor bovinum, dilated and hypertrophied.Arteriosclerosis and Hypertension:
Louis Marshall Warfield
In addition to swollen and hypertrophied follicles there may be some evidence of ulcerative destruction of these follicles.
As a rule, in cases of pyloric stenosis the muscular coat of the stomach is hypertrophied.
The muscularis mucos is hypertrophied, and is evident to the naked eye as a grayish band.
- to undergo or cause to undergo this condition
- A nontumorous enlargement of an organ or a tissue as a result of an increase in the size rather than the number of constituent cells.
- To grow or cause to grow abnormally large.