- abnormal enlargement of a part or organ; excessive growth.
- excessive growth or accumulation of any kind.
- to affect with or undergo hypertrophy.
Origin of hypertrophy
Examples from the Web for hypertrophy
Historical Examples of hypertrophy
Hypertrophy: any abnormal enlargement or excessive development.Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology
John. B. Smith
He quotes a case of hypertrophy of the spleen which he cured with this fruit.The Medicinal Plants of the Philippines
T. H. Pardo de Tavera
Further reference to these fruits will be made under the head of Hypertrophy.Vegetable Teratology
Maxwell T. Masters
They said he was suffering from hypertrophy of the sensory nerves.Lost Diaries
We are suffering from a sort of hypertrophy of the intelligence.The Non-religion of the Future: A Sociological Study
- to undergo or cause to undergo this condition
- A nontumorous enlargement of an organ or a tissue as a result of an increase in the size rather than the number of constituent cells.
- To grow or cause to grow abnormally large.