- of or relating to Illyria.
- a native or inhabitant of Illyria.
- the extinct language of the Illyrians, an Indo-European language of uncertain relationship within the Indo-European language family.
Origin of Illyrian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for illyrian
They spoke all these languages fluently, for one was a born Illyrian and one a Serb.The Gypsies
Charles G. Leland
Do we not serve under Aemilius Paullus and his Illyrian auspices?
A temple to Mars the avenger, if I had but a front of Illyrian horse!
When traversing Illyrian and German ground, it was the same as in our own country.My Ten Years' Imprisonment
After he left Corfu they carried fire and sword along the Illyrian coast.Famous Sea Fights
John Richard Hale
- a member of the group of related Indo-European peoples who occupied Illyria from the late third millennium to the early first millennium bc
- the extinct and almost unrecorded language of these peoples: of uncertain relationship within the Indo-European family, but thought by some to be the ancestor of modern Albanian
- of, characteristic of, or relating to Illyria, its people, or their language
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012