- without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once: Please telephone him immediately.
- with no object or space intervening.
- closely: immediately in the vicinity.
- without intervening medium or agent; concerning or affecting directly.
- Chiefly British. the moment that; as soon as.
Origin of immediately
Synonyms for immediatelySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for immediately
Related Words for immediatelyshortly, forthwith, urgently, soon, promptly, directly, rapidly, instantly, now, anon, away, instantaneously, pronto, summarily, thereupon, PDQ, double-time, hereupon, instanter, unhesitatingly
Examples from the Web for immediately
Contemporary Examples of immediately
They all immediately dashed out to their car to catch the bad guys.Shot Down During the NYPD Slowdown
January 7, 2015
Unlike former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, Huckabee is not immediately forming an exploratory committee.Can Huckabee Convert the GOP’s Moneymen?
January 4, 2015
This immediately raises the issue of who will lead the crash investigation.Who Will Get AsiaAir 8501’s Black Boxes?
December 30, 2014
I resisted it, though I was immediately told by someone in the group that the author reminded him of me.Daphne Merkin on Lena Dunham, Book Criticism, and Self-Examination
December 26, 2014
Immediately, there was a national groundswell of voices calling for Arizona Governor Jan Brewer to veto the bill.Corporations Are No Longer Silent on LGBT Issues
December 24, 2014
Historical Examples of immediately
Philothea was stooping to unlace her sandal, and she immediately picked it up.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
Immediately after this they go to class-meeting at the Methodist Church.Harriet, The Moses of Her People
Sarah H. Bradford
We shall not achieve it immediately—but we still shall strive.
It was immediately observed, that his attention was fixed on me.Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9)
Immediately Franks, with a stage-bow, offered Hester a chair.Weighed and Wanting
- without delay or intervention; at once; instantlyit happened immediately
- very closely or directlythis immediately concerns you
- near or close byhe's somewhere immediately in this area
- (subordinating) mainly British at the same time as; as soon asimmediately he opened the door, there was a gust of wind