- without emotion; apathetic; unmoved.
- calm; serene.
- unconscious; insensible.
- not subject to suffering.
Origin of impassive
SynonymsSee more synonyms for impassive on Thesaurus.com
1. emotionless, phlegmatic, stoical, indifferent, undisturbed, unperturbed. 2. tranquil, unruffled, composed. 4. unaffected; unflinching.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for impassivity
James heard of his host's defection with impassivity and a glance of his eyeglass.Love and Lucy
Maurice Henry Hewlett
She continued in her impassivity, smiling a provoking and inscrutable smile.The Creators
She would find it impossible to outdo him in the matter of impassivity.The Shadow
But when the still figure on the roof saw me, the impassivity of it vanished.Phroso
The contemptuous voice pierced the Indian's armor of impassivity.The Patrol of the Sun Dance Trail
- not revealing or affected by emotion; reserved
- calm; serene; imperturbable
- rare unconscious or insensible
Word Origin and History for impassivity
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper