- without emotion; apathetic; unmoved.
- calm; serene.
- unconscious; insensible.
- not subject to suffering.
Origin of impassive
SynonymsSee more synonyms for impassive on Thesaurus.com
1. emotionless, phlegmatic, stoical, indifferent, undisturbed, unperturbed. 2. tranquil, unruffled, composed. 4. unaffected; unflinching.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for impassive
When the Inspector took thought to look at her, she was as impassive as before.Within the Law
"Come along," said the impassive Stoliker, taking the handcuffs from his pocket.In the Midst of Alarms
Outwardly he maintained consistently a pose of impassive gullibility.
In the boat the man with the bailing can turned up an impassive countenance.
I looked at the impassive face of the spokesman with the wand.The Room in the Dragon Volant
J. Sheridan LeFanu
- not revealing or affected by emotion; reserved
- calm; serene; imperturbable
- rare unconscious or insensible
Word Origin and History for impassive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper