- the process or result of printing from type, plates, etc.
- a printed copy from type, a plate, an engraved block, etc.
- one of a number of printings made at different times from the same set of type, without alteration (distinguished from edition).
- the total number of copies of a book, pamphlet, etc., printed at one time from one setting of type or from one set of plates.
Origin of impression
Related formsim·pres·sion·al, adjectiveim·pres·sion·al·ly, adverbim·pres·sion·less, adjectivepre·im·pres·sion, noun
Examples from the Web for impression
“I found him to to be an interesting person,” Krauss said of the first impression.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But he told me recently that Malia would do my impression of him to him.
And then I met him before I started doing the impression of him when he was a guest on SNL for a moment.
“I have not gotten the impression that they have their minds made up or they are not open to new information,” Stammberger said.FBI Won’t Stop Blaming North Korea for Sony Hack -- Despite New Evidence|Shane Harris|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They also give the impression that you have a neatly organized life.Handbags: The More You Pay, The Smaller They Shrink|Elizabeth Landers|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The rain of the preceding evening had besides so softened the ground that it would not well retain an impression.
"It would take a three-inch field piece, sir, to make an impression on this wall of dirt," smiled Sergeant Hal.Uncle Sam's Boys in the Philippines|H. Irving Hancock
But now, softly whispering through ten thousand leaves, how gently the whole tree yields to the impression!
Are you under the impression that I'm thinking of marrying your son?The Paradise Mystery|J. S. Fletcher
Her dress and bearing gave the impression of solid wellbeing, and steadfast purpose.Skipper Worse|Alexander Lange Kielland
British Dictionary definitions for impression
- the act, process, or result of printing from type, plates, etc
- one of a number of printings of a publication printed from the same setting of type with no or few alterationsCompare edition (def. 2)
- the total number of copies of a publication printed at one time
Derived Formsimpressional, adjectiveimpressionally, adverb
Medicine definitions for impression
Idioms and Phrases with impression
see make an impression under the impression.