- a person or thing that is between two extremes, two contrasting conditions, etc.: yeses, noes, and in-betweens; a tournament for professional, amateur, and in-between.
- a person who handles the intermediary steps, as in a manufacturing or sales process.
- being between one thing, condition, etc., and another: a coat for in-between weather.
Origin of in-between
First recorded in 1805–15
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for in-between
Fall and early summer are the ideal times to visit, in-between the bitter winters and the humidity of the hot August nights.The Foodie Capital of Canada
May 31, 2014
The U.S. has three goals vis-a-vis Iran: minimalist, maximalist and in-between.Iran Sanctions: What's the Mission?
October 15, 2012
Pam Houston talks about the “in-between place” between fiction and non-fiction.Must Reads: Madison’s Slaves, Pam Houston, and Alec Wilkinson
Eric Herschthal, Kevin Canfield, Nina MacLaughlin
February 23, 2012
Privately, Esther still dwells in the in-between world, living out the personal dramas of a not-quite-adult still living at home.Must-Reads: ‘The Last Nude,’ ‘Arrows of the Night,’ and ‘The Fallback Plan’
Bruce Riedel, Lauren Elkin, Drew Nellins
January 24, 2012
Going out to the public square to debate issues, not voting every four years and switching off in-between.Spain Protests Claim 'European Summer' Follows Arab Spring
Barbie Latza Nadeau, Mike Elkin
May 28, 2011
Choosing an in-between for the benefit of this servant whom she knew to be English, she produced it.The Paliser case
A grizzly may be a blond, or a brunette, or one of half a dozen in-between shades.The Grizzly
Enos A. Mills
As we did go along, in-between times I did look looks at Jenny Strong.
And so too with the inhabitants of the red, yellow, and in-between regions.
In-between times all day at school I did print messages for them on gray leaves I did gather on the way to school.
- intermediatehe's at the in-between stage, neither a child nor an adult
- an intermediate person or thing