- not animate; lifeless.
- spiritless; sluggish; dull.
- Linguistics. belonging to a syntactic category or having a semantic feature that is characteristic of words denoting objects, concepts, and beings regarded as lacking perception and volition (opposed to animate).
Origin of inanimate
SynonymsSee more synonyms for inanimate on Thesaurus.com
1. inorganic, vegetable, mineral; inert, dead. 2. inactive, dormant, torpid.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for inanimation
- lacking the qualities or features of living beings; not animateinanimate objects
- lacking any sign of life or consciousness; appearing dead
- lacking vitality; spiritless; dull
Word Origin and History for inanimation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Not having the qualities associated with active, living organisms; not animate.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.