- lacking the ability to express oneself, especially in clear and effective speech: an inarticulate public speaker.
- unable to use articulate speech: inarticulate with rage.
- not articulate; not uttered or emitted with expressive or intelligible modulations: His mouth stuffed, he could utter only inarticulate sounds.
- not fully expressed or expressible: a voice choked with inarticulate agony.
- Anatomy, Zoology. not jointed; having no articulation or joint.
Origin of inarticulate
Synonyms for inarticulateSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for inarticulatenesspeace, quiet, reticence, stillness, lull, secrecy, blackout, calm, taciturnity, quietude, censorship, dumbness, quietness, hush, quiescence, death, sleep, quietus, sulk, noiselessness
Examples from the Web for inarticulateness
Contemporary Examples of inarticulateness
In style, the contrast with the combination of inarticulateness and irritability of his predecessor could not have been greater.Obama Owns the Room
February 9, 2009
Historical Examples of inarticulateness
Inarticulateness increased his accumulating store of wonder.The Promise of Air
He was confused, painfully conscious of his inarticulateness.Martin Eden
Every man wants superiority and distinction for himself, he only wants equality, invisibility, and inarticulateness for others.Germany and the Germans
Let us remember the inarticulateness of ritualism, how it stifles rather than utters the feelings of the heart.The Expositor's Bible: The Book of the Twelve Prophets, Vol. I
George Adam Smith
It was her only break from inarticulateness—it surprised herself and her father almost as though she had said something indecent.Captivity
M. Leonora Eyles
- unable to express oneself fluently or clearly; incoherent
- (of speech, language, etc) unclear or incomprehensible; unintelligibleinarticulate grunts
- unable to speak; dumb
- unable to be expressed; unvoicedinarticulate suffering
- biology having no joints, segments, or articulation
- Uttered without the use of normal words or syllables; incomprehensible as speech or language.
- Unable to speak; speechless.
- Unable to speak with clarity or eloquence.
- Not having joints or segments.