- the state or condition of being secret, hidden, or concealed: a meeting held in secrecy.
- the state of being apart from other people; privacy; seclusion.
- ability to keep a secret.
- the habit or characteristic of being secretive; reticence.
- Archaic. something that is secret or mysterious: the secrecies of nature.
Origin of secrecy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for secrecy on Thesaurus.com
1. confidentiality, privacy, stealth, covertness.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for secrecy
Some secrets, it seems, must be kept even from elected representatives who could still be sworn to secrecy.After Torture Report, Our Moral Authority As a Nation Is Gone
December 11, 2014
The FSLN-controlled legislative assembly approved the mega-project under a cloud of secrecy in a record seven days.China’s Nicaragua Canal Could Spark a New Central America Revolution
November 30, 2014
To date, much of the details of the diplomacy and even the interim deal between Iran and the West are shrouded in secrecy.Republican Hawks Already Have a War Plan for ISIS, Ukraine, and Obama
November 6, 2014
But the secrecy and fear surrounding the once-successful quarantine has now put the region in even greater danger.Fighting Ebola and Starvation in Sierra Leone
November 5, 2014
The process for informing the Senate and House intelligence committees is often shrouded in secrecy.Congress Scouring Every U.S. Spy Program
October 10, 2014
I don't pretend to understand your game, but you may rely on my secrecy.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
He tried to swear Edith and me to secrecy, but we refused to be sworn.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
Secrecy was now out of the question and it was well that he was moving thus in the open.Dust
Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
However, I'll take it out, as you wish it, and make the full stop at "secrecy."Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit
Tom and I are trying to solve the mystery, and secrecy is of the greatest importance.The Inn at the Red Oak
- the state or quality of being secret
- the state of keeping something secret
- the ability or tendency to keep things secret
Word Origin and History for secrecy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper