- not compatible; unable to exist together in harmony: She asked for a divorce because they were utterly incompatible.
- contrary or opposed in character; discordant: incompatible colors.
- that cannot coexist or be conjoined.
- (of two or more propositions) unable to be true simultaneously.
- (of two or more attributes of an object) unable to belong to the object simultaneously; inconsistent.
- (of positions, functions, ranks, etc.) unable to be held simultaneously by one person.
- Medicine/Medical. of or relating to biological substances that interfere with one another physiologically, as different types of blood in a transfusion.
- Pharmacology. of or relating to drugs that interfere with one another chemically or physiologically and therefore cannot be mixed or prescribed together.
- Usually incompatibles. incompatible persons or things.
- an incompatible drug or the like.
- incompatibles, Logic.
- two or more propositions that cannot be true simultaneously.
- two or more attributes that cannot simultaneously belong to the same object.
Origin of incompatible
Synonyms for incompatible
Examples from the Web for incompatibilities
Historical Examples of incompatibilities
I might continue the list of the incompatibilities of Hindu and Christian ideals.India, Its Life and Thought
John P. Jones
That which is so distinct is bristling with incompatibilities.The Approach to Philosophy
Ralph Barton Perry
Go on talking your incompatibilities; go on teaching your absurdities!Selected Works of Voltairine de Cleyre
Voltairine de Cleyre
O that I had never brought together these unsuitabilities, these incompatibilities!Helen
Many were the heartburnings, the incompatibilities of temperament, of the parts thus yoked together.Bizarre
- incapable of living or existing together in peace or harmony; conflicting or antagonistic
- opposed in nature or quality; inconsistent
- (of an office, position, etc) only able to be held by one person at a time
- med (esp of two drugs or two types of blood) incapable of being combined or used together; antagonistic
- logic (of two propositions) unable to be both true at the same time
- (of plants)
- not capable of forming successful grafts
- incapable of fertilizing each other
- maths another word for inconsistent (def. 4)
- (often plural) a person or thing that is incompatible with another
- Incapable of associating or blending or of being associated or blended because of disharmony, incongruity, or antagonism.
- Producing an undesirable effect when used in combination with a particular substance, as a medicine in combination with alcohol.
- Not suitable for combination or administration because of immunological differences, as blood types.