- capable of existing or living together in harmony: the most compatible married couple I know.
- able to exist together with something else: Prejudice is not compatible with true religion.
- consistent; congruous (often followed by with): His claims are not compatible with the facts.
- (of software) capable of being run on another computer without change.
- (of hardware) capable of being connected to another device without the use of special equipment or software.
- Electronics. (of a device, signal, etc.) capable of being used with equipment in a system without the need for special modification or conversion.
- noting a system of television in which color broadcasts can be received on ordinary sets in black and white.
- something, as a machine or piece of electronic equipment, that is designed to perform the same tasks as another, often in the same way and using virtually identical parts, programmed instructions, etc.: Software written for one computer will probably run on its close compatibles.
Origin of compatible
Related Words for compatibleadaptable, consistent, suitable, appropriate, accordant, congenial, congruent, congruous, consonant, cooperative, fit, fitting, harmonious, like-minded, meet, proper, sympathetic, together, reconcilable, simpatico
Examples from the Web for compatible
Contemporary Examples of compatible
How is this at all compatible with how your parents treated you?Dear Leelah, We Will Fight On For You: A Letter to a Dead Trans Teen
January 1, 2015
More pointedly, can supporting abortion rights be compatible with Christianity?A Christian Case for Abortion Rights?
September 9, 2014
President Obama is absolutely correct that ensuring work is compatible with motherhood is essential.Why Obama’s Plan for Working Moms Just Won’t Work
July 8, 2014
And surely the pursuit of justice is compatible with scientific progress.Our Bad Romance Obsession Is the Ultimate First World Problem
January 2, 2014
Make sure you choose a dimmer manufacturer who provides readily-accessible information on compatible lamps and dimmers.The Light Bulb Is Dead. Long Live the Light Bulb!
December 20, 2013
Historical Examples of compatible
The Banker's past life was not compatible with generous dealing.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
It alternates with derision, and is compatible with contempt.
It must be admitted that, as far as was compatible with his quality of temper, he was; none more so.Anabasis
It cannot be implied that she is hardened, for no such quality is compatible with her character.
To her mind, a display of finery was not compatible with what she called religion.Hunter's Marjory
Margaret Bruce Clarke
- (usually foll by with) able to exist together harmoniously
- (usually foll by with) consistent or congruousher deeds were not compatible with her ideology
- (of plants)
- (of pieces of machinery, computer equipment, etc) capable of being used together without special modification or adaptationa PC-compatible disc
Word Origin for compatible
mid-15c., from Middle French compatible (15c.), from Medieval Latin compatibilis, from Late Latin compati (see compassion). Related: Compatibility.
- Capable of existing or performing in harmonious or agreeable combination.
- Capable of being grafted, transfused, or transplanted from one individual to another without reaction or rejection.
- Capable of forming a chemically or biochemically stable system.