- not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
- not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.
- very numerous or not easily counted, as stamens.
- (of an inflorescence) indeterminate.
Origin of indefinite
SynonymsSee more synonyms for indefinite on Thesaurus.com
1. unspecified; indeterminate. 2. imprecise, inexact, indistinct, confusing, vague, uncertain.
1, 2. determinate. 2. clear, specific.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for indefinite
But that these calls are now on hold for the indefinite future, due to their lack of progress and frustration on both sides.Exclusive: Putin Halts All Talks With White House
April 25, 2014
During the trip, McCain shared his insights with Feinstein and McDonough about the true nature of indefinite detention.Congress Cooperates, Obama Pushes Hard, and Closing Gitmo Has a Chance
December 12, 2013
Now we are told U.S. troops will remain for an indefinite time helping to train Afghan forces.Hope Isn’t Enough: Without Conviction or Destination, Obama Flounders
July 19, 2013
But many of the Brotherhood leaders have been placed on an indefinite travel ban.Coup by Acclamation?
July 4, 2013
Unless something major changes in the price of renewables, I expect that pattern to continue for the indefinite future.What Are We Going to Do About Carbon?
June 25, 2013
She was beginning to inspire him with an indefinite uneasiness.The Secret Agent
After an indefinite pause, she asked, "Shall you be going to St. Johnswort?"Questionable Shapes
William Dean Howells
I attempted to pacify her by an indefinite reply to her inquiries, but in vain.Theresa Marchmont
Mrs Charles Gore
The Grand Plan was ambitious, indefinite, but they could not give it up.Four Girls and a Compact
Annie Hamilton Donnell
It put a name to that gnawing, indefinite feeling she had been too intent to own.The Innocent Adventuress
Mary Hastings Bradley
- not certain or determined; unsettled
- without exact limits; indeterminatean indefinite number
- vague, evasive, or unclear
- Also: indeterminate botany
- too numerous to countindefinite stamens
- capable of continued growth at the tip of the stem, which does not terminate in a floweran indefinite inflorescence
Word Origin and History for indefinite
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper