- to compensate for damage or loss sustained, expense incurred, etc.
- to guard or secure against anticipated loss; give security against (future damage or liability).
Origin of indemnify
SynonymsSee more synonyms for indemnify on Thesaurus.com
1. recompense, reimburse, repay.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to secure against future loss, damage, or liability; give security for; insure
- to compensate for loss, injury, expense, etc; reimburse
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for indemnifier
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper